Sunday, June 29, 2008

Summer Orzo Salad

I love this salad. It's one of my favorites to make for and bring to BBQs and I've always gotten rave reviews!

The original recipe came from a former boss of mine. She made this for the surprise wedding shower that she and all of my co-workers threw for me. She served it on lettuce leaves but really it's good all on its own!!

Feel free to play around with this a bit...I have and I LOVE it!!

Orzo Chicken Salad

1 box Orzo pasta prepared according to box directions (I like to cook mine in chicken broth)

1 to 2 packages thin sliced chicken breasts

Garlic powder

Onion Powder

Salt

Pepper

Red Bell Pepper- I use one good sized pepper and dice it

Shredded Mozzarella cheese- The recipe calls for about 1/2 cup but I use closer to a full cup. I have also used the pizza cheese mixes where it's 3 or 4 different Italian cheeses mixed together.

Two packages Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix prepared according to package directions but with balsamic vinegar


Season both sides of chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. You can also use a little oregano, I don't care for it.
Bake chicken on non stick pan in a 350 degree over for roughly 35 minutes or until done. You can also grill the chicken.
Once the chicken is done and cooled down a bit chop into bite sized pieces and set aside.

Once Orzo is finished cooking, drain and transfer to a large bowl. Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over pasta and mix. Just enough to make sure the pasta does not clump together. Allow pasta to cool slightly.

Add diced pepper and chicken to pasta and pour salad dressing over and mix well.

Allow to chill in fridge for a few hours. Just before you are ready to serve make sure the pasta is not too dry, you can add more dressing.

Stir in mozzarella cheese and serve chilled!

Enjoy!!

1 comments:

LunaNik said...

I'm definitely trying this! I think my picky-ass kiddos will even enjoy it.

 
design by suckmylolly.com